Rajasthan came into existence with the joining of Jaipur, Jodhpur, Bikaner and Jaisalmer to form the part of the state of Rajasthan. The new state of Rajasthan was inaugurated on 30th March, 1949 by Sardar Patel at Jaipur and Maharana Udaipur became Maharaj Pramukh and Sawai Man Singh of Jaipur became Raj Pramukh. Rajasthan High Court was established on 21st June 1949 under the Rajasthan High Court Ordinance, 1949. The first High Court of Rajasthan was inaugurated by H.H. Maharaja Sawai Man Singh Ji of Jaipur on 29th August, 1949 at Jodhpur. This was only possible after the union of Matsya and completion of integration of all small states on 15th May 1949. High Court of Rajasthan in located near Jodhpur fort. On one side of the Rajasthan High Court is Sardar Museum in Umaid Park and on the upper right hand side is the Jodhpur fort.
The process of integration of all states was completed only when Matsya union also merged on 15.5.1949.
On 29th August 1949, Maharaja Sawai Man Singh of Jaipur administered the oath of Hon’ble Chief Justice Kamala Kant Verma and a team of eleven judges at Jodhpur High Court premises. Except Hon’ble Chief Justice Kamala Kant Verma of Allahabad remaining eleven judges were from the Princely states. From Jodhpur were the Hon’ble Mr. Justice Naval Kishore and Hon’ble Mr. Justice Amer Singh of Jasol whereas from Jaipur were the Hon’ble Mr. Justice K.L. Bapna and Hon’ble Mr. Justice Ibrahim and from Udaipur were the Hon’ble Mr. Justice J.S. Ranawat and Hon’ble Mr. Justice Shardul Singh Mehta. From Bundhi was the Hon’ble Mr. Justice DS Dave and from Bikaner was the Hon’ble Mr. Justice Tirlochan Dutt whereas from Alwar was the Hon’ble Mr. Justice Anand Narain Kaul. Hon’ble Mr. Justice K.K. Sharma was from Bharatpur and from Kota was the Hon’ble Mr. Justice Khem Chand Gupta. At Jodhpur was the principal seat of High Court and various benches were at Kota, Jaipur and Udaipur.
After the Constitution of India came into force the state of Rajasthan was given the status of class ‘B’ as a result the strength of the Rajasthan High Court Judges were reduced and it became essential for the Judges to be eligible for the post according to the rules of Constitution of India. After the retirement of Hon’ble Mr. Justice Verma, Hon’ble Mr. Justice Naval Kishore and Justice Ibrahim two eminent lawyers Indra Nath Modi from Jodhpur and Mr. D.M. Bhandari from Jaipur were elevated to the Bench.
State Re-organization Act was passed in the year 1956 and as a result the Union Territories of Ajmer Merwara, Abu, Sunel and Tappa area got merged into the state of Rajasthan. Hence, on 1st November, 1956 High Court of Rajasthan was given the status of Class ‘A’ with the strength of six judges and Chief Justice of India, Hon’ble Mr. Justice S.R. Das came to Rajasthan and observed the functioning of High Court of Rajasthan. It was on his recommendation the President of India appointed six judges of High Court of Rajasthan to be fit for the desired seat. Justice Bapna, Justice Ranawat, Justice Sharma and Justice Bhandari used to sit in the Jaipur Bench whereas Justice Modi and Justice Dave used to sit at Jodhpur, however, Chief Justice Wanchoo used to take part in the sitting in both the benches. At present there are forty judges in the Rajasthan High Court.
In the year 1958 the Rajasthan High Court bench at Jaipur was abolished, however it was again established on 31st January, 1977. At present the strength of the Rajasthan High Court is about 40 judges.
At present Hon’ble Justice Mr. Arun Mishra is the Chief justice of Rajasthan High Court and about twenty more Judges are working in the High Court of Rajasthan.